It was two days before I was leaving to
fly out of state, and I was stressed out. I still had packing to
finish (which meant I first needed to start), tasks to finish for my
photography business, last minute shopping to do, and everything
seemed overwhelming. It was just one of those days - and it wasn't even noon yet.
I sat at the edge of our porch,
scrubbing the dirt off my work boots, and I felt God's gentle
reminder being whispered to me, “I see you.” I had read in my Bible the story
of Hagar the morning before, and it was like a breath of fresh air to
be reminded of this truth and see it applied to my own life. Hagar
really had no voice in her circumstances – she was a slave, and was
being abused and mistreated by her mistress. So she did the only
thing that seemed reasonable – run away. But an angel of the Lord
met her on the road, right where she was at. He told her to go back
to her mistress; back to the exact same circumstances she had just
fled from. But this time, she went back with this promise written on
her heart, “You are the God who sees me.”
And this was the same promise that God
whispered to my heart, “I am the God who sees you.” It didn't
change the circumstances of my day – I still had a long list that
needed to be accomplished. No, nothing changed about the day...except
my outlook. All it took was that simple reminder: that God knows, and
cares about, each detail of my day. He sees my stress, my
frustration, my excitement, my joy.
I can't quite explain it, but the peace
and joy that flowed out of that truth put a song in my heart.
Hi Rebekah,
ReplyDeleteI have been reading your blog for sometime now and absolutely love it! Like you, my heart was created for Africa. Ever since I was twelve, I have felt like God was calling me to Africa. I still have yet to go, but am oraying for that opportunity to arise.
I was wondering if you could tell me what mission organization you go through?
Blessings,
Alisha
alishainprogress.blogspot.com