April 27, 2014

back to the start

Sometimes you simply need to take a step back and honestly evaluate where you are at.

That's what these past two weeks have been for me. A time to step back and be honest with God about where I am at in my relationship with Him. A time to re-evaluate my priorities. A time to recognize and repent of areas of sin that I have allowed into my life. It's not necessarily a pleasant process, in fact, at times it's quite messy. But it is so worth it.

Life Action Ministries recently came to my church and led two weeks of revival meetings. It gave me a much needed opportunity to be intentional and really focus on what God was trying to tell me at this time. I was excited about revival, as I knew that I needed it, but God did so much more than I expected. He reached into those deep places and lovingly exposed the shadowed corners that had been conveniently covered up and ignored for too long. I realized once again my desperate need for a Savior and my constant need for the guidance of the Holy Spirit in my daily life. Although God showed me many things, there are several in particular that are especially engrained into my mind...

//  As a child of God, I am set free from the bondage of sin. I don't sin because I have to, I sin because I choose to. Through His Spirit, God has given me the power to resist all temptation.

//  Seeking the Lord daily through intentional times of prayer, scripture meditation and memorization is vital to continued growth.

//  I need other believers, because this Christian life was not meant to be walked alone. First of all, I need God. But it is also extremely important to be in fellowship with other believers, honestly sharing my struggles - that raw, real stuff that could easily be tucked away. This takes humility, but pride and selfishness like to step in the way and create a mask. Brokenness hurts, yet it's necessary. 

//  This life is simply a blink of an eye in comparison to eternity. I need to stop living for the present and focus on living with eternity in view. 

//  God uses the trials and struggles of life to bring about Christ-likeness.

//  Dying to self is a necessary, continual process. Where pain is felt is where there is life. And where there is life is precisely where death is needed. 

Although these days have been extremely challenging, I'm excited that this is only the beginning of what God is going to continue to do. This life is a journey. A constant learning experience. I know that I have a long way to go, but I am thankful for the love, mercy, and forgiveness of my Savior. He died to save me, that I may have the honor and joy of living for Him.



No comments:

Post a Comment