His name was Paul.
The small room was dimly lit, with the only light coming from the rays of sun that filtered through the window in the corner. Directly inside the wooden frame that served as a doorway, a single thin mattress was placed on the cement floor. On this cot lay the form of a young man who seemed to be no older than 10, yet was actually 27 years of age. He faced towards the wall and was curled up into the fetal position, a light blanket draped across his frail, emaciated body. An open sore was visible on his shoulder. The sight of it all was almost too much to take in, and I felt as if I had just been punched in the stomach. Never before in my life had I seen a human being in such horrible condition. As we knelt down to pray over him, I couldn't stop the tears. They flowed freely down my face as I was confronted with the reality of AIDS.
Her name was Joyce.
Her cot was in a small room only feet away from where Paul lay. As we walked through the door, she used the little strength she had to push herself up until she was sitting halfway. Despite the condition of her body and the disease that taunted her day after day, a brilliant smile shone from her face. It was as if a ray of hope had been placed in her very being. It's hard to understand how someone in that situation could have so much joy, yet I can't shake the fact that it was so very true and genuine in her. Most people would have simply given up, but her actions clearly showed that she was clinging to God's love, joy and peace.
Those vivid images replayed themselves over and over the entire taxi ride back to the base, and are still today deeply engrained in my mind. Before this day in Uganda, I knew that AIDS existed. During our lecture phase we had talked about it in class - I knew the facts and statistics. But that was the day that the statistics became real. AIDS is a real hurt to real people.
But the story doesn't end there. The woman caring for these two AIDS victims was no ordinary woman. From the outside there may have been nothing noticeably different, but we learned that she also was battling HIV. Unfortunately I don't remember her name, but I do remember her story and her example. I was, and am, amazed at her selflessness and genuine love for others. Yes, she was also in the midst of a life-changing reality, but she didn't put the focus on herself and her needs. Instead, she chose to reach out and love - such a beautiful picture of selfless love. It was a privilege and honor to spend time in this woman's home; to have the opportunity to pray with her and the precious people she was caring for. She was living out her faith in such a real way - in a way that puts many of us to shame.
While these situations were real, and the outcome of their stories seems certain, I don't want that to be the entire focus of this. I truly hope that by reading this you became more aware of the fact that AIDS is not just some insignificant disease out there. There are many myths, and also facts, about how it is spread and who can get it, but the bottom line is that it is a real hurt to real people. But I also hope that you are also challenged by this woman's selfless love, just as I was. This love that Christ flawlessly displayed for us is meant to be lived out by those who are His followers. How it is shown will look different for each of us, but the driving force behind it is still the same: Love others as Christ has loved you.
(re-blogged from my missions blog)


No comments:
Post a Comment