Simply put, they are worth nothing.
From late last night into the early hours of the morning, there were threats of severe weather all around. A lovely mix of thunderstorms and tornados - oh, the joys of midwest weather. Praise the Lord that most of it missed our area, but nonetheless it did get me thinking. It's eye opening to realize that you could labor your entire life to build a kingdom of security and comfort for yourself, only to have it swept away in a single night, by a single storm. The things of this world are so temporary. Uncertain. Like a kingdom built of sand, it will all crumble to pieces. And all that will be left is the eternal.
This caused me to ponder, where is my treasure? If a storm took away everything that I owned, could I still be content? I should hope so. Because in the end, it's just stuff. In light of eternity it has absolutely no value at all. The things of ultimate value, the things of God's kingdom, can never be wiped away by a storm. They will stand firmly rooted forever.
I want to live for the eternal - for that which really, truly matters. To not allow myself to be consumed by the sparkling emptiness that the world offers but to fix my eyes on that which will last forever. I've only got a few short years on this earth - a blink of an eye in comparison to eternity. So how will I spend this time? Chasing after every worthless and temporary craving of the flesh, or fixing my eyes on my Jesus and running with endurance this race marked out for me?
"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21
Thank-you for this great reminder, Rebekah. We had high winds and stormy weather here too, and I'm thankful that it wasn't any worst.
ReplyDeleteWow. I like your analogy, Rebekah. Very thought provoking. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
ReplyDelete--Hannah K.