March 7, 2015

The art of celebration





It's easy to find things to complain about.

I got four wisdom teeth removed yesterday, and I now look (and feel) like a bloated chipmunk. It's quite a sight. Yet as I was laying in bed last night and my mind started to wander to all of the negative things that accompany this lovely procedure, I was reminded of a verse in 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18, "Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for the this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."

Joy is a choice. Thankfulness is a choice. In every circumstance I face, I have a choice. I can allow myself to dwell on the pain and negative elements, or I can look for the things to be thankful about. I can be thankful for time to relax. For mocha frappes that my wonderful dad brings me. For pain medication. For sunshine. The list can go on and on.

I don't know what you are facing today, but I just want to remind you that there are always things to rejoice about. Does that mean that we are always smiling and life is always easy? Absolutely not. Life isn't all butterflies and rainbows. There is real hurt and real pain. But stop. Right now. Take a look around you. What do you have to be thankful for? If nothing else, we can rest in the assurance of our Savior's love and praise Him that all things work together for the good of those who love Him.

You are loved. You are precious.
And that is something to celebrate no matter what you are facing.


1 comment:

  1. What a great post! I was struggling to have joy so I had been doing a study on joyfulness. Joyfulness is something that is given to us by God. Two verses that have really made an impact on me are Hebrews 12:2, "Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; Who for the JOY that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame,..." and Colossians 1:11, "Strengthened with all might according to His glorious power, unto all patience and long suffering with Joyfulness;" I heard a preacher make a great point. Joy was one of the things that helped Jesus endure the pain of the cross. As he hung there, he may have envisioned the joy of once again being in Heaven with the father surrounded by other believers whose relationship had been made right with their Maker. "These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full." John 15:11

    ReplyDelete