March 3, 2014

A Million Doors


"God put a million, million doors in the world
For his love to walk through
One of those doors is you."
Jason Gray - "With Every Act of Love"

Those three simple lines challenge how I live from day to day...do I live like God's love is REAL and ALIVE in me?

Sometimes it's easy for me to see God's love as this big and glamourous task that we as Christians are given. Journeying deep into the jungle to tell an unreached tribe about the gospel. Giving hope and a loving home to hundreds of orphans. Organizing a ministry that sends food and clothing across the nations to those in need. While those things can show God's love, so can giving a listening ear to that person who is having a hard day. Building a relationship with that girl who everyone else seems to ignore. Giving a friendly smile to a complete stranger. Taking a moment to help your brother tie his shoe. The thing is, often those small things don't seem too glamorous or worthy of our time. Besides, we've got better, more important, things to be doing.

That presents the question, what are my heart motives? If I only want to show God's love through "big things", is that because I want recognition? I may cover up those selfish motives with a good Christian label, but God isn't fooled by my facade. He sees past the masks and the disguises, and gets straight to what really matters. His focus is on the heart. Can a heart that is totally devoted to Him also be a center for selfish ambition?

I'm a broken person who is completely undeserving of God's love. We all are. Yet despite our total unworthiness, He still loves us unconditionally. It is a free gift, so who am I to decide when and where I will share that love? Who am I to try to use it for personal gain and recognition? The truth is that showing love is hard, and sometimes it seems downright impossible. But when I look at the love that I've been given and the sacrifice that was made in my place, all else fades in comparison. What if you and I allowed ourselves to be doorways for God's love to walk through. Not just sometimes. Not just when it would be noticed. But all the time; every day and every moment.

There are a million doors out there that God wants His love to walk through.
One of those doors is me. And one of them is you.
Let's go live it.

1 comment:

  1. This post made my day. Thank the Lord for His unconditional love. Thank you, thank you, thank you for writing this and showing God's love. I struggle in this area everyday, and your writing and the truth it holds really spoke to my heart to share the little things in love, not just the big things.

    In Him,
    Abby

    ReplyDelete